Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Is India a democratic country?

Hi,

I know the tilte will surprise you but sometimes I feel so. I opened my eyes in a democratic country and I really proud to be an Indian. My parents tought me that we all are same here and have rights to live like others. I started my life in a same way. I have never found any difference between the names Zoheb & Ramesh. But suddenly this society showed me the difference. They tought me that Zoheb means 'Muslim' and Ramesh means 'Hindu'.

I realised this truth when I stared searching a rented flat before my marriage. People talked me so nicely and almost agreed to give me flat on rent untill they hadn't heard my name... Zoheb. They confirmed my name by asking ... 'Is it Rohit or Shobhit?'. When I spelled my name as Z O H E B, then I faced this new India who is reprsenting himself as a democratic country in this world. I only got a flat on rent when I got a Muslim flat owner. After a year in that flat now coz of some reason I am searching a flat on rent again. And now I am facing this problem again with lots on development in the definition of this democratic country. Now even property dealers are refusing to entain me only because of being a Muslim.

Me & my wife both are Software Engineers. We are perfectly eligible to take any flat on rent as any other people like Ramesh, Ravi, Divakar etc are.. But I am not getting it. I am a kind of person who stands up on hearing national anthemn and who used to pray for Indian Cricket Team's victory in India Vs Pakistan match while offering namaz and I am getting this back for being a 100% Indian.

Now, this is time for India to think about it who is fighting against Afghanistan, Iraq etc. on the name of Democracy.

4 comments:

Sabs said...

Hi Zoheb, Welcome to the world of blogging. Very true, but we will fight against all odds and will come up as winners and will make sure that nothing like this happens again in india on the name of religon....

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoheb

Bhasker here, i know both of you and your passion for india, which could never be questioned? However i am also astonished that how is it possible in india just for the sake of Hindu and Muslim, we are not getting Flat for rent. I would request you that please do not judge whole india for the sake of some brokers and landlords. Kahte hain "sachhe dil se kuch bhi chaho to sari kaynaat jut jati hai apko usse milane mein" So lets start again and you will get whatever you want.

Your's
Bhasker Chaurasia

Anonymous said...

Hi Bhasker,
I agree with you. Whole india is not like that. But no doubt society is getting communal time to time. People like you and me should take some innitiative to make this country a better place to live together.

Unknown said...

@ zoheb,

sir, i have full sympathy on wht u faced just because u r a muslim. but i'll like to say just one thing tht India is not exactlly whtu thnk and neither u or me r!
i totally agree u tht india is no more a democratic country but certainly not in this respect...its not a democratic country due to politics.........trust me i f u go to a good locality u'll cetainly find a good locatn!!!
i totally agree with bhaskar ...u said tht u r a software engineer then i'm sur ur getting a handsome sallary and in this world people just see the money nothing elese .....so don't get dishartened just try in a proper area which has lots of appartments..........!!!!all the best for ya future!!!


-Reetika